Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy: Information for Clinicians (copyright 2008)
Barbara Maclay Cameron, M.A., M.S.W.
This excellent document answers the following questions using cited research:
- How long should a child breastfeed?
- What are the medical benefits of breastfeeding beyond the first year?
- What about breastfeeding toddlers who are falling on the growth charts?
- Does extended breastfeeding cause dental decay?
- Why breastfeeding families need encouragement from their clinicians.
Peaceful Parenting: Natural Weaning: An excerpt from the book Mothering Your Nursing Toddler, by Norma Jane Bumgarner and published by La Leche League International.
- kellymom.com breastfeeding & parenting
- Dulce de Leche Dulce has a lot of experience nursing and is very open about how and why she nurses, and how her opinions have changed over time. Look for her labels on breastfeeding, weaning, tandem nursing, triandem nursing, nursing in public, nursing aversion
- La Leche League International (LLLI)
- API's Eight Principles of Parenting (Attachment Parenting International)
- Breastfeeding: Biocultural Perspectives Katherine A. Dettwyler (Editor), Patricia Stuart-Macadam (Editor)
Podcasts & Audio
- Breastfeeding Medicine Podcast by Anne Eglash (iTunes)
Articles on the Time Magazine Cover from May, 2012 "Are you MOM enough?"
- Out of the Mouth of Babes by Eric Michael Johnson (Scientific American)
- The Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine's response to Time Magazine's "provocative cover photograph:" "ABM affirms breastfeeding beyond infancy as the biological norm"
- Time Magazine Behind the Cover: Are You Mom Enough
- Time Magazine Q&A with Breast-Feeding Mom Jamie Lynne Grumet - A conversation with the woman on TIME's May 21 cover
- I like this quote from Jamie, "There seems to be a war going on between conventional parenting and attachment parenting, and that’s what I want to avoid. I want everyone to be encouraging. We’re not on opposing teams. We all need to be encouraging to each other, and I don’t think we’re doing a very good job at that."